Problem-based Learning



I love problem-based learning and I am always trying to find ways to incorporate problem-based learning in the courses I teach. One of the most memorable problem-based activities I integrated into my flipped classroom was in a Nursing Leadership class I was teaching. I say it was memorable because I have students, who are now RNs, remind me of the “really great activity about the difference between problem solving and decision making.”
The learners were senior level nursing student getting ready to graduate and start their careers as RNs.  We were discussing the concept of problems in the workplace and how determine if the situation was a true “problem” or just a “decision” that needed to be made. Our textbook had given a great overview of the differences and the students were completely engaged by giving personal examples of true problems that need to be solved compared to decisions that needed to be made.
 After the discussion the students self-selected into groups of 3-4. Each group was given a piece of paper in which I had written a situation. The students were to decide if the situation was a problem or just a decision that needed to be made. The students had 20-25 minutes to work together. If the group decided the situation was a problem that needed to be solved, then they were to apply the steps of decision-making to come to a solution. When I assign group projects like this, the students have the freedom to stay in the classroom or go to a nearby study room or the University Center for coffee, snacks etc. as long as they meet the time limit. This activity had a surprising twist that became evident when the students returned to the classroom and began presenting their solutions.   
One group returned after only about 10 minutes, the other groups struggled to finish in 20-25 minutes allowed for the activity. The group that finished first presented their finding to the class. They started by reading the prompt on the paper. It quickly became evident that I had given each group the same problem.  The group that finished first felt that the situation was not a problem; merely a decision that needed to be made. The other groups agreed that the situation was a problem and each gave their perception of the problem and ideas for a solution. Each group had solved the problem differently.  The activity ended with the class coming together to solve the problem as a group based on the ideas of many. The beauty of the activity was the response from the students.  After class the students told me they loved the activity because it was “real-life.” I believe students left class that day as empowered problem solvers. 
This is why I love teaching.     

What innovative teaching strategies do you incorporate into the classroom? Have you used problem-based learning? What was the reaction from your students.   

Comments

Popular Posts